ETA: and of course there's a bingo card for the stuff people tell you when you admit to being child free.

Date: Sep. 19th, 2010 03:14 am (UTC)
bluemeridian: Chloe from Smallville, with coffee and a sideways look. (Default)
From: [personal profile] bluemeridian
*laughs* Yeah, D and I have gotten that for years. When we tell them that we have 2 beagles, they're our kids, and, really, we're stopping there, they say something like "Oh, you'll change your mind." or, my favorite, "You'll feel differently when you have your own kids."

Um, no. I won't because 1) no kids and 2) why would I want to feel differently about Jack and River?! That's just cold.

There are plenty of good reasons for us not to have children, but that's really besides the point since no one cares. Everyone has children, right?! Arrgh.

Date: Sep. 19th, 2010 03:20 am (UTC)
magnavox_23: (whale)
From: [personal profile] magnavox_23
Ooh, thank you for pimping that comm, I will have to join. Like you I've known since I was very young that I was not going to have children. People tend to assume all sorts of things all the way up to 'you're a monster and you must hate children', but they're small minded and better ignored.

As I grew older there were just more reasons not to have children - from environmental aspects to financial, and I accept myself fully as someone who simply does not want to have children and does not see them ever fitting into any idea of what I want my life to be.

I could probably write a whole essay on it of course, but I won't clog up your comments. :P

Thank you for sharing this and your own story. Good to know I am not alone, and neither are you. :)

September 2017

S M T W T F S
     12
34 567 89